6.06.2011

My Sweet Precious Child

Ty is my only child.

IMG_6430

Ty holds my whole heart in his bright blue eyes.

IMG_6459

Ty will be 2 in exactly 24 days.

IMG_6414

Ty has a playroom full of toys.

Ty has grandparents and aunts and uncles who love him.

Ty says the word “shit.” A lot.

I don’t think my husband or anyone else knows just how much he says this horrible horrible word. He will just be playing with a  toy and say “shit.” Out of nowhere. Without any context or reason.

At first I thought he might be {hoping he was} saying something that just sounded like it. Like maybe “see it” or “sit in” or something…anything… other than “shit.” But nope!

I am constantly reminding everyone to watch their language around Ty because he will repeat anything! Guess this one word has stuck with him & I hate it!! I make him say Thank You and Yes Ma’am and No Sir and Please. I teach him to have manners. He knows how to take turns with his friends and he understands how to share {not that he does these two willingly every time but at least he knows what they mean}. I never thought, in all my life, that MY son would say a curse word!! I am pretty sure he has heard me say it a couple of times in frustration or my husband. I am quite sure he has heard his grandparents and aunt and uncle say the word often.

98% of the time I just ignore him in hopes that he will stop saying the word because after all he really doesn’t even really know what it means. About once a day, I will ask him what he said and tell him “We don’t say that word. It’s an ugly word.”

Have you ever had to deal with this? What did/would you do?

1 comment:

  1. I think you are doing the best thing. Ignoring it and not making a big deal is what I would do as well. Also, you reminding him it's an ugly word but too often is smart. Hopefully it's just a phase and he will move on soon. Sorry I don't have any wisdom just encouragement that you doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete